Having a new roof installed on your home is a big decision, and an expensive one at that. It can be exciting but there are also a lot of decisions that need to be made including choosing a contractor, roofing material, and shingle color. With the harsh winters New York experiences each year, many homeowners tend to opt for asphalt shingles, bringing on the question of what shingle color to get? To make the process easier, we've put together our best tips for selecting the right shingle color for your home.
1. Consider your homes siding. Don't worry about matching your siding perfectly when selecting a shingle color. Instead, focus on complimenting it. Opt for a clean and cohesive feeling to avoid having your roof look out of place and awkward.
2. Ask for an opinion. With over 50 years in the roofing industry, our team can point you in the right direction when it comes to both your roofing material and color choice. This will also eliminate the amount of shingle colors to consider before selecting the best fit, saving time and money.
3. Take a look at nearby homes. The best way to gauge what color shingles you like and to get an idea of what your home will look like upon completition is to take a look at the other nearby homes. Take the time to look at other siding and roofing combinations as well as roofing material and shingle color.
4. Factor in the sun. The sun and shade on your home will make your roof color look different once it's installed versus what it looked like in a showroom. Before making a final decision on color, hold different roofing samples up to your home during different times of the day to get a better idea of what they'll look like on your home.
5. Match your homes architectural style. Classic style homes tend to look best with classic color palettes - blacks, greys, and browns. If you live in a historical home, keep in mind that you might have to follow specific rules for your roofing to keep the traditional architecture. Victorian and colonial homes are complimented bst by natural slate colors, and orange and red colored layered shingles look best on stecco homes.
For your free estimate on your next roofing project, give Double R All Home Improvements a call today a (914) 937-4279.